Shambhala Music Festival 2014
When: From Wednesday, August 6th until Monday, August 11th, 2014
Where: Salmo River Ranch, Salmo, BC
Time: Gates open at 8:00 am on Wednesday, August 6th, with 24 hours a day access until Sunday, August 10th at 9:00 pm. This is an all-encompassing festival and the last track drops at 10:00 am on Monday, August 11th.
Overview: The Shambhala Music Festival continues for it's 17th year, as organizers bring yet another impressive lineup to Salmo B.C. There are a lot of huge names booked for this year's festivities but none are more anticipated than the return of Bassnectar to Shambhala after a 2 year absence.
Why you should go
Taking place at a farm in B.C, Shambhala is more than a festival as it developed its own unique vibe and culture to go along with the music. The stages are beautiful with an overall lineup that is good balance between headliners and underground names. This is not your normal festival, so if you plan on going, keep an open mind and experience as many musical acts as you can because there are plenty ready to be discovered.
Acts to watch (If you want to hear new music)
Bassnectar: As stated in the overview, there is no doubt that the most anticipated headliner at this year's Shambhala is the return of Bassnectar. Lorin has been pulling 13 hour days in the studio to finally complete his eagerly anticipated album titled "Noise vs. Beauty", out on June 24th. Getting to see Bassnectar at Shambhala will be like a homecoming, and his set will be filled with new music and good times.
Rene LaVice: This Canadian drum and bass talent has been literally tearing up the charts over in the U.K thanks to his break out hits "Where My ladies At", and his remix of Chris Lake's "Helium". With a second album in its final stages of planning, we could be hearing plenty of new unreleased material from this Toronto talent this summer. To read my recent in-depth interview with Rene LaVice, click here.
Grandtheft: This Toronto artist is one to see live as he's known to always bring special edits, originals, bootleg remixes, and unreleased tracks to his DJ sets. Grandtheft has been busy in the studio with recent collaborations done with Diplo, Thugli, and Keys N Krates in the books, and promised on the way. "Keep It 100", the latest collab with Keys N Krates, could easily be one of the anthems of the summer. With a brand new collab remix with Diplo ready to drop, expect the unexpected as the likelihood that you'll be hearing fresh unreleased material from Grandtheft is high.
Terravita: This trio from L.A likes to go hard, and their latest album "Rituals", a 14 track LP made entirely of originals, is indicative of that ethos. But they are hardly one dimensional as these guys like to take it one step further by combining elements outside of electronic dance music and incorporating it together. "Bach Off" is a track that brings together classical music with hard bass, and creates something memorable. This experimentation is taken further with the more rock inspired "Colorblind". Pushing limits in the studio and in the clubs, Terravita brings it.
Astronomar: Armed with a brand new EP titled "Mutant Club", Astronomar comes ready to Shambhala with fresh music reflective of his creative style. His rise to prominence into the wider scene came way of Skrillex when he popularized his remix of "Go Deep', a track that still sounds great to this day. Astronomar has found a distinct sound in a sometimes crowded electronic dance music scene, and stands out as an artist to watch at Shambhala.
Kill Paris: Corey Baker, otherwise known as Kill Paris, has been a really in the busy over the past year releasing music. His style is hard to pin down which makes this Colorado based artist fun to track, just to see what he'll come out with next. His latest EP titled "Foreplay" is a continuation of his particular style which can be described as bass music based with melodic elements and a dose of glitch hop sprinkled in. Separating yourself from the crowd is important, and that's something that Kill Paris has excelled at.
Smalltown DJs: This Calgary duo has been putting the hours in the studio this year and it shows with a variety of releases on labels such as Fool's Gold and Astronomar's Main.Course. They have recently collaborated with Lisa Lobsinger, the front woman of the Broken Social Scene, in a track called "See Thru", that has since gotten remix treatment by Thugli, Astronomar, The Slow Waves, and more. Combining forces with fellow Canadian talent Grandtheft, the Smalltown DJs released a strong track titled "Flying" on Main.Course available for free. These guys are making moves in 2014, and it will be interesting what else they'll come up with.
Full lineup (Click to zoom on any stage poster)
- Bassnectar, Moby DJ, Skream, Beats Antique, TJR, What So Not, Justin Martin, The M Machine, Gorgon City, B.Traits, Caked Up, Hannah Wants, My Nu Leng, Taiki & NUlight, J.Phlip, Mat the Alien, Ursula 1000, Christian Martin, Chris Lorenzo, Soup, Cal Bass, Cut La Whut, Ryan Wells, J Labs, Logan Hart, Marty Carter, Mirage Inc., Greenskeeper, Jorna, Just B, I Sick, Capn' Fuzz + Ajax, Bearded House Mafia.
- Z Trip, Kill Paris, Beardyman, Tropkillaz, Rob Garza, Griz, The Correspondents, Featurecats, A Tribe Called Red, Stickybuds, Smalltown DJs, Deadsquad, JPOD, The Gaff, JFB, The Funk Hunters, Skratch Bastid, Dan Solo, Freddy J, Joseph Martin, JGIRL & Manousos, Diligent, Bitchin', Wild Out, + More
- A Tribe Called Red, Grandtheft, Astronomar, G Jones, Qdup, Jason Burns, Figgy, Falcons, Thugli, Insightful, DJ Dan, Mark Farina, Donald Glaude, Calmalka, Robot Koch Lindsay Lowend, 123Mrk, Thriftworks, Commodo, Le Moti, + More.
- Excision, Andy C, Datsik, Danny Byrd, GRiZ, Eligh & Amp Live, Zion I, Flinch, Sweatshop Union, Rene LaVice, ill.Gates, Lucent Dossier Experience, Stylust Beats, Protohype, DJ Nu-Mark, Paper Diamond, EOTO, J Rabbit, Liquid Stranger, Dimond Saints, Terravita, Pegboard Nerds, Ookay, Getter, Mt Eden, + More.
- Kalya Scintilla ft. Eve Olution, Leon Switch, Kaminanda, Lynx, Odesza, sun:monx, Goosebumpz, Emancipator, Desert Dwellers, Phaeleh, The Human Experience, Opiuo, Plantrae, Hedflux, Benji Vaughan, + More.
- Mark Farina, Truth, Matt Robertson, Pumpkin, Mr. Scruff, Nico Luminous, James Flavour, Sabo, Side Car Tommy, El Papa Chango, Golden Lips of Silence, Matt Robertson, Mat The Alien, + More.