I'm still reeling from that epic set by the legend Paul Oakenfold last night at Bluesfest. I will write a review sometime soon but meanwhile enjoy some of these surprising facts about Oakenfold from his wiki page:
- He's 48. Okay that one is not that surprising but it's interesting nonetheless.
- Paul once interviewed Bob Marley claiming to be an NME/Melody Maker journalist when he was 21 years old.
- He used to work as an A&R man for Champion Records when he lived in West Harlem and managed to sign DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince and Salt-n-Pepa.
- He was a promoter and British agent for the Beastie Boys and Run-D.M.C.
- His 'Perfecto Remix' of U2's "Even Better Than the Real Thing" charted higher than the original song. Oakenfold ended up opening for U2 in their Zooropa/Zoomerang tour in over 50 locations.
- In 1995 he was the first DJ to play on the main stage at the Glastonbury Festival for 90,000 people.
This guy kinda blows my mind. Full respect.